We’re on the lookout for a Graphic Designer to join Icon. We are accepting applications from graduate/junior and middleweight designers.
Experience is not essential. We are looking for a designer with the right attitude, energy, ambition and skills to work alongside our existing team. You will have a passion for design and a keen eye for detail.
You will be confident at managing your own projects as well as working with others to deliver excellent and intelligent campaign work. You need to be a ‘people-person’ who is a dab-hand at multi-tasking and have the ability to turn a project around quickly whilst maintaining consistently high standards.
As an independent agency, we are not tied to a specific sector and welcome applications from designers from a range of backgrounds.
We’re looking for someone who:
- is ideas focused, a creative thinker who is well versed in the creative process, from understanding the brief and conducting insightful research to concept creation and artworking
- is curious and keen to learn and to develop their skills to reflect the creative demands of our clients
- is a good listener, that can navigate through the noise to understand, articulate and deliver on the clients brief
- is enthusiastic and eager to tackle both new and existing projects
- is able to communicate clearly and concisely, both written and verbally, whether it be discussing ideas and feedback in the studio or presenting work to clients
- works to high standards and will check and double check their work
- is eager to be involved in all aspects of both print and digital projects and willing to learn where needed
- is self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of the team
- has the ability to understand the value of design and the difference design makes
- an ability to work bilingually (through the medium of English & Welsh) would be welcomed.
Graduate/junior designer skills:
- A degree in Graphic Design/Graphic Communications or similar
- A new graduate or junior designer with 6-18 months experience working within an agency or an in-house design focused environment.
- Knowledge of the Creative Suite essential, ability to work in After Effects, HTML and CSS a bonus
- The ability to produce bespoke illustration is very desirable. We create a considerable amount of illustrative work so an ability in this area this would be warmly welcomed.
- A firm sense of design, layout, typography
- A good understanding of print and web design processes
Middleweight designer skills:
- a degree in Graphic Design/Graphic Communications or similar
- at least 2-3 years’ experience working within an agency or an in-house design focused environment
- the ability to hit the ground running, to pick up and work on existing and new projects
- to work collaboratively with existing designers on print and digital campaigns, some of which you will be expected to lead
- attend and run presentations and workshops
- extensive knowledge of the Creative Suite essential, ability to work in After Effects, HTML and CSS a bonus
- visual design for websites, this includes planning and wire framing
- the ability to produce bespoke illustration is very desirable. We create a considerable amount of illustrative work so an ability in this area this would be warmly welcomed.
- a perfectionist with a keen eye for detail.
As part of the Icon team, you’ll benefit from:
- a competitive salary based on experience plus pension
- private health insurance
- work alongside an experienced team in a beautifully converted chapel
- mentoring, training and growth opportunities
- room to grow and develop your skills in a creative and welcoming environment
- an office cat (Monday- Friday only!)
This is a permanent, full-time position, where you’ll work alongside the team in our Chapel in the leafy suburb of Bassaleg, Newport. We have some fantastic clients from the private and public sector with a particular focus on education, arts, retail and regeneration but these are not exclusive! If you would like to have a chat about the role, please get in touch.
To apply, send your beautifully designed CV plus a cover letter or email which explains why you’re the perfect person both in terms of design skill and personality and a link to or PDF of your portfolio to email@example.com by 21st February.